Saturday, January 11, 2014

Do You Read The Last Page First?

I have a horrible habit. As soon as I pick up a book, I flip to the last page. Do a quick review. Hmmmm, is this the book for me? I have no idea why I do this, but it seems that I have done this forever. It worked well in grammar school. I was an avid reader, and to be honest, Nancy Drew books usually did the wrap-up in the last few pages. LOL As the books got longer, sometimes I had to read the entire last chapter to get the information I needed. Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and Sue Grafton don't always wrap it up nice and neat in the last few pages. I picked up a book last week, BEFORE I DIE by Candy Chang. If you are not familiar with the book, it documents cities and neighborhoods where people have placed blackboards with the words, BEFORE I DIE I WANT TO....... Passerbys are then encouraged to add to the boards using chalk. Pretty amazing idea and a good book. It gives you insight to how people are more alike than not. Once again, I flipped to the back...This writer is pretty sneaky. The last few pages were instructions on how to create a board of your own. What?! Not only did she not wrap up the story, but now I was expected to participate! For once, I was forced to read a book in the order in which it was written. And you know what, it worked! I may have to try that again. Be kind to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment