Sunday, October 18, 2015

Taking Advice to Heart and Finding Contentment

Here I am.  To say that all is fixed, well, that would be an exaggeration.  But, I am taking your advice to heart.  It is time to focus on my contentment, not on my happiness.

I gave quite a bit of thought on what brings me contentment.  My stitching, sewing with beautiful fabric, working outside.

 Soooo....

Saturday morning, my husband took care of my dad and the dog so I could sleep in.  I slept 9 hours, only getting up a few times during the night.  I was much more ready to face the world.  I finished all my inside chores and laundry.  Next, outside.  Filled all my hummingbird feeders, watered some bushes, and sat outside for a few minutes watching how excited the hummingbirds were to have fresh food. Then, back inside. Worked on my stitching lamp (got it work, yay) and then sat down and stitched for a bit.  In between, I took care of Dad, but it didn't seem so much of a chore today.  Here is where I am with my project.  I finished all the letters and am starting on the vine.  Since I have the attention span of a hamster, this is going to take me a while.  Count, count again, pick up the fabric, forget what number I counted on the pattern, put down the fabric, count, count again...see the problem?  I was pretty proud that the vine ended up the correct distance from the main motifs.  Yay for me.



This morning, up early to help my brother with branding.  I did not get any pictures of me, since I was holding a rope, but here are a couple of pictures of the newest additions to our "herd".



My brother and I run two brands, his and mine.  Since the white heifer is the great, great granddaughter of one of my favorite cows, I put my brand on her, he got the other two.  One was a bull calf, now a steer, so he will either be for eating or selling.  The other is a heifer, so both will stay with the herd. We are down to about 25 head, selling almost everything else to buy hay during the drought.  Two heifers will be a nice addition.   We've got four more calves, but they are all less than a month old, so we will get them branded in November.

Well, that concludes my weekend.  I had some inside time and some outside time.  I feel a bit more focused and ready for the next week.  I needed to get some rest and regroup.

On a very sad note, my boss' wife passed yesterday.  This was her second battle with breast cancer and it had become an everyday struggle for her.  She was on Hospice for less than 48 hours.  I wished they had offered it earlier, but she wanted to fight to the very end.  He is sad and heartbroken.  I am hoping that he will stay home a few weeks with his kids and have a chance to heal, even just a little.

Wishing all a good week.  Be kind to one another.

10 comments:

  1. I love the precious, sweet cows. I would have to keep every one, name it, and play with it daily! I am not one for farming or ranching or whatever it's called!!
    I'm glad the weekend was better for you! Your stitching is really coming along and so pretty!
    It's sad to hear of your boss' wife. How very sad for her family and especially her children. Life can be so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Frances. Yes, they are so sweet when they are little! LOL When they are grown and do not want to trailer, well, that it is a different story. I've been known to use some definitely unladylike language. LOL

      It is so difficult for my boss. My heart hurts for him and his children.

      Delete
  2. PS--You are no-reply to me and I wanted to respond to a comment....I can't locate your email either!
    francesstitches@gmail.com is mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm somewhat behind with blog reading but have just read your last posts. Good to see that you had a nice weekend an feel somehwat better after the down time you had.
    Your stitching progress is great. Vine stitching can be a bit of a chores an I can't tell you how often I had to frog some parts of it, lol. Nice to see the pictures of these little calves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Brigitte. Thank you for your comment on my stitching. So far, so good, only one mistake and I haven't frogged it yet. LOL But, I'm using a copy of the pattern and using lots of highlighter to mark where I've been.

      Delete
  4. What sweet calves. What kind are they?
    Praying for your boss' family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers. He is a Christian and I know that he appreciates all prayers.

      The white calf is a British White crossed with Black Angus, but is showing all the traits of the white. The two black are a Black Angus and Red Angus cross. The black is dominate. They are so cute when when they are little. I have to laugh at myself. When I was a child, I helped my dad with our cows, but when I became an adult, I thought I was done with that. Oopps, guess not! LOL

      Delete
  5. Well, there you are Angela. You sound like yourself, thankfully. Good to have a rest and then some busyness. It's a cliche but sometimes the old ones are true. That stitching is so tiny, I'm amazed at it. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Jocelyn. You, and several others, were right. Regroup, find my contentment and keep going.

    ReplyDelete