Sunday, February 19, 2017

Rain, Rain, and More Rain...And an Afternoon Off

Good morning from soggy California!   This is a quick "what I've got going on" post.  LOL

The rain keeps coming and coming and coming.  We had four inches in two days with another storm moving in tonight.  We are fortunate here in Central California.  A few areas have flooded, some road closures, and a 12 hour black-out on Friday.  Nothing too scary.  I was more concerned about the lack of electricity than anything else.  My dad's bed has a special mattress that fills with air to keep away bedsores.  We are lucky that we have a generator for emergencies.  No lights, but we kept Dad's bed going.  

I've been working on a new scarf.  It will be a gift for a friend of my husband.  After I took the picture, I realized that it looks like a Brach's Neapolitan candy.  It's not really as crooked as it looks. I took a picture of my cross stitch, but somehow got a horrible shadow and am too embarrassed to post it.  LOL


My little fishies have been very busy.  After looking closely, it appears that I have more on the way. Lots of chubby moms in there.


My poor neglected orchids have once again rewarded me with blooms.  I've had this orchid for at least three years, first time that it's re-bloomed.  LOL        


I'm trying to root some geraniums from the patio.  I don't see any roots, but it's been a week and they are still alive.


I'm busy, busy at work.  I'm still doing two jobs, but hopefully we can get someone hired in the next month. I talked to my boss last week and asked if I can keep my hours the same.  It is hard to get going at 4 am, but it gets me home before 3:30 pm, so I can take care of Dad.  She agreed, as long as the department doesn't suffer.  My cohort doesn't mind covering for me, so it will work.  LOL

Dad is exactly the same.  Sigh.  I am trying to stay upbeat, but some days make me so tired.  My sister called out of the blue yesterday and asked if we wanted the afternoon off.  Hmmmm...YES. Since hubby promised me a special date to celebrate my promotion, we've planned a drive and an early dinner.  It will be a nice break.  The rain isn't supposed to hit until later this evening, so it should be a nice afternoon.

I am off to get beautiful!  Not really, but I should get out of my jammies and brush my hair.  LOL Have an amazing Sunday.  Be kind to one another.


13 comments:

  1. Enjoy your date! You need a break now and then. Being a caregiver is not easy. God love you :)
    Beautiful orchid. I pretty much have a green thumb, but I've never tried growing an orchid.
    Congrats again on the promotion!
    Happy Sunday :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a wonderful time! We managed to make it home before the rain began. LOL The orchids aren't that difficult. My biggest problem was "over" caring for them. Now that I basically ignore them, I'm an expert. LOL

      Delete
  2. That is a great scarf! Are those platys? We had them many years ago. The kids loved the babies. :D I have orchids growing right now also. So pretty! Have a super date!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, those are platys! I used to raise mollies...and I thought they were prolific! LOL These little guys make bunnies look restrained. LOL

      Delete
  3. Oh I love that scarf! :) I hope you enjoyed your night out. Congrats on the new job, too. They are lucky to have you. Hope the rain stops a little so that you don't get a dark out again. Wishing you a day filled with much joy sweet friend. ((hugs)). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's funny, every time I look at that scarf, my mouth starts to water! LOL We had a wonderful day, only a few hours, but so very nice.

      Delete
    2. I am glad you had a lovely time out sweet friend. :)

      Delete
  4. Lol I like the color of your scarf. It does look like a piece of candy, but the pink sets it off :)

    Sounds like a lot of much needed rain. I wish it was raining here, but it is hit or miss....mostly miss!

    I'm glad you have a generator for emergencies! They are great for storm blackouts.

    Have fun on your celebration date :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went out for fish and chips. Usually we sit outside on a deck, but I wasn't willing to take a chance on getting sprinkled on...LOL We have a great big generator to run the whole house, but I can hang out in the dark for a while...we have some small camping lamps that work quite well. I was even able to stitch for a while! LOL

      Delete
  5. Your Dad's bed sounds amazing..what ever will they think of next. Your scarf really does look yummy; you are getting to be a scarf knitting queen. The orchid is most beautiful and of course, you know how I love geraniums. Hang in there on the job front...it'll work out and hope you had a nice outing, the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can take credit for the geraniums. LOL I remember seeing you rooting some last year. I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I'm going to try! The single bloom has opened, so I hope that I should be able to keep it alive.

      Delete
  6. So great that you can have that outing with your husband. I'm sure that such outings lift your spirits. A lot.
    You are definitely getting a lot of rain these days. Nature needs it after the long years of drought but for the dams it's not the best. But as I have seen on the internet the one that was in danger of bursting still holds. Fortunately.
    You have a green thumb, don't you? Like my husband. He is the one who takes care of our plants in the house and in the garden. If I was the one in charge nothing would survive, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if my husband was in charge, we would live in a wasteland. LOL One day, I was complaining about how long it takes to care for the plants and I should just get rid of all the house plants. My husband was very upset...I didn't even think he noticed the plants! LOL

      Delete