Friday, June 13, 2014

Latest Trip to the Bay Area....

I am on the downhill side of my vacation. Only a few days left, so took the time to visit my son in the Bay Area. When I go up that way, we try to do fun stuff. We've went on walks, took the ferry to the city, went to a bonsai garden, and this visit, it was to the Oakland Museum of California. It was a nice way to spend the afternoon. Three different floors: art, history, and animals/plants. We started with the history floor. The exhibits begin with the native Californians, then go decade by decade. Very interesting. Gives you quite a bit of information about different tribes with examples of baskets, pottery, clothing, etc. Because California was known as the movie capital of the world, there are several areas that cover Hollywood and the history of movie making in California. A few sections are interactive and we had a lot of fun. In the 1960 section, there are exhibits done by individuals that shows how history was personal to "them". Some were sad, some were happy, but it was well worth the time to study each one. Next, off to the Art floor. It was okay, I just never seem to get the "abstract" stuff. But, I really liked the exhibits that showed architecture and furniture! LOL We were at the museum for four hours and could have spent several more. Here's a selfie that I tried to take. You can tell I need practice!
I added the heart, just because. When the museum closed for the evening, off on a side trip to Jack London Square. Stopped by the "First and Last Chance Bar". This bar is on the list of National Literary Landmarks and the weather was perfect for sitting on the patio with a cold drink. Dinner was Thai. I don't care for tofu, so stuck with veggies in garlic sauce. Very yummy! Another successful trip, I sure do love that kid! Back to real life on Monday...After working for 30 years, I think I'm ready to start the countdown to retirement. There is so much to see in life and I don't want to wait until I can't appreciate it! Be kind to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment