Saturday, November 7, 2020

Sound of Silence? Nope...Sound of Rain!

Happy Saturday from the rancho.  I woke up about 4 am...what is that sound?  Did my fish tank blow a filter?  NO!!  It was rain!!  If it wasn't so chilly and I wasn't in my jammies, I would have done a happy dance in the front yard.  California needs rain so badly...the fires this year have been catastrophic.  We need the ground soaked.  Well soaked.

Other than my excitement over the rain...I have been pretty busy the last week.  My garden is about ready to go to sleep for the winter.  I have quite a few tomatoes to pick but the zucchini and lettuce are done.   I wanted to share a picture of my breakfast using half of my potato harvest.  If you look closely, you can see tiny pieces of potato.  It was very yummy.  LOL


When I was growing up, my grandparents always had a package of store-bought shortbread cookies on the kitchen table.  Those cookies are still for sale in the grocery store but I thought it was time to try and make some for myself.  Somehow I had the idea that they were difficult to make.  Ummm.  Nope.  LOL  I have one of the small commercial mixers, but the older I get, the more I enjoy the feeling of hand mixing my cookie and bread mixes.  I use an old Pyrex bowl and a lard/ice cream scoop.  Both from the 50's.  It just feels right.  Here is my first try.  I used almond extract and put in some roasted, sliced almonds.  


First one was pretty tasty.  Need to shorten the baking time.  But by cookie number four...I was feeling proud of myself.  Definitely making these again.  Thank goodness the recipe only made twenty cookies.  LOL

I am caught up with my SAL.  Still kicking myself for measuring incorrectly but I'm considering how to straighten the bottom.  Maybe a quote?


I have a few more finishes for my friend.

I did the wool work on the strawberry and scissor keep.  Both came as a kit and had French knots.  Not happening.  LOL  Poof! Buttons!



Since I am caught up on my SAL, I got back to my La D Da kit "Fraktur Frieda".  It is a kit I got a few months ago.  I love the color of this fabric, Havana by Week's.


I've finished my cookie and my second cup of coffee.   The dogs are outside and hubby is still in bed.  The quiet is beautiful but it is time to get this show on the road.  LOL  

Be safe, enjoy life.  Be kind to one another.



7 comments:

  1. Glad you got rain. Wish you would get more. The cookies look great. So does your stitching and finishing! I hope you have a super week Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning! So far, so good. LOL No more rain, but we did get some hail last Sunday. Decided that we finally needed to turn on the heater...27 degrees outside. My garden is sleeping now. LOL

      Delete
  2. I'm sure rain is most welcome. When I visited my son in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, they had gone 180+ days without any measurable rain. I know it's a desert, but still!!!
    Your stitch along is magnificent. I'm sure you will figure out the perfect solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning and thank you...I'll figure out something. I'm very disappointed at myself for my poor counting, but I'm just saying that it's because I'm very bad at math. LOL

      Delete
  3. I was thinking of Angela and how she always made fudge for Christmas and then I thought I should check out her blog-perhaps there is a recipe somewhere for it. Lo and behold here you are! I'm so excited to see you didn't die or your hubby or anything and in fact, are doing fine. I missed you!!I just read a whack of your posts since back in 2018 to catch up. I'm so happy for you that you retired and all and now keeping busy with lovely stitching and helping out your hubby. This had made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning!! And I was thinking of you and scones. LOL Things were tough for a long time. Today is the second anniversary of my dad's passing and I'm a bit weepy. Sigh. But...I would not want him in the shape he was. I will post my fudge recipe this week. LOL I already started gathering ingredients before they disappear off of the shelves. I've peeked at your blog but haven't posted. Felt that since I have been remiss you may have not remembered me. LOL

    ReplyDelete