Sunday, October 22, 2017

Making Strides And The Three Rs

Good morning from the rancho!!!

To all the peeps out there, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  Have you had your yearly mammogram?  As uncomfortable or embarrassing as it may be, the girls will love you for it...



I have several friends that are breast cancer survivors.  One is so kind and invites me to walk with her family at out the annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk.

In the car and ready to go...


At the mission in San Luis Obispo...


My walking buddy...



I had a wonderful time.  It's only two miles and with the way that I chat, I don't even notice the distance.  LOL

Recycle.  Reduce.  Reuse.

I've been hitting the thrift stores the last couple of weeks, looking for items to use with my cross stitch. I found a couple of cute wire baskets, cute, but no bottoms.  Well, cardboard, a little batting, some fabric, and BOOM, the perfect place for my smalls. 



I try to save original art work.  I'm pretty sure I will never find a priceless Picasso, or a Van Gogh, but I love the idea of giving a piece of art a second life.

Found these at a thrift store.  Not very pretty, but I could see the potential. The first picture is a watercolor...stunning colors, but not loving the matting.  Second picture is a print, #5 out of 50.  The original price tag was still on the back.  Forty dollars.  I paid $1.75.



Framed and ready to hang.  Much better.



Still working on my Blackbird Designs house, but not much to show.  I also started a knitted throw.  I've only finished an inch...pictures next time.  LOL

Work is not quite back to normal.  Monday will be the first day of full movement.  We'll see how that goes...

Have an amazing Sunday, a wonderful week.  Be kind to one another.

7 comments:

  1. I am religious with my mammograms since I have had a couple biopsies but thankfully they were negative. How thoughtful of you to walk with your friend.
    Oh, those framed pictures look MUCH better.
    Hopefully things will go well at work.
    Happy Sunday :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I like the pictures much better now, too!

      I asked once about skipping a few years...the woman doing the scans said that by the time you feel the lump, you loose precious time to fight. Decided to stay on a yearly exam.

      Delete
  2. I have my mammo and ultrasound scheduled. I have a few fibroadenomas we are watching. Good for you and your friend. Love your pink! ;) And your art! Almost moving day for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, why am I not surprised at you noticing I was wearing pink? LOL

      Delete
  3. I get a letter in the mail 'inviting' me to have a mammogram every two years now. It's a great reminder.
    That walk is wonderful in all the ways. What great finds and wonderful changes you made to those art pieces. It really is fun to go thrift shopping. Hope Monday is going okay for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I get invited each and every year!! But I have quite a bit to check. LOL

      I so love going to thrift stores. The only thing better is if I could have my son with me...he has a great eye for "special" stuff. LOL

      Delete
  4. Like Jocelyn I also get an invitation to have a mammogram every two years. So you can't forget about going. Great that you could participate in the two-mile walk again.
    I love wired baskets to have my little pillows on display. Great that you could save the two. And also the pieces of art. We don't have thrift stores where I live, it's just too rural.

    ReplyDelete