Saturday, February 7, 2015

A Visit From The Doctor

We got some good news and maybe not-so-good news.

Disclaimer: The following includes lots of "Too Much Information".

The good news first...Dad's thumb is not infected or broken. The wound is healing much better than expected. Our Hospice nurse will be coming twice a week for a bit to keep an eye on it and change the dressing. It is not broken, but is being pulled backwards by the Parkinson's. It seems that the final stages of Parkinson's shortens the tendons, so...his arm tendons are pulling on his thumb. It only hurts when we move his arm... during baths and when we change him, so we can control his pain with painkillers only as needed, not twenty-four hours a day. I can't watch my dad in pain. It makes me feel like I failed him. This disease is so disrespectful to my dad. I can't really say it any different than that. It is just wrong. My dad was a good father, took care of us, kept us safe. This disease has no right to turn him into a ball of barely existing flesh, with no laughter, no light.

Now for the maybe not-so-good news. Dad has prostrate cancer and has for about 10 years. He chose no intervention. His doctor told him that he would likely die of something else first. Our Hospice doctor thinks that now that Dad is bedridden, he will have more problems with his prostrate and urination. If we have the same problem we had last Tuesday, they will put in a catheter. The doctor and nurse both say that not being able to urinate is one of the most painful conditions you can have and no painkiller will touch it. I have to say I agree. I had to have a sonogram when I was pregnant with my son. It has to be done with a full bladder. The office was running a bit late. I had to wait an extra TWO hours. I had never hurt so bad before in my life. I cannot imagine my dad in that kind of pain for five or six hours. So for now, we wait and watch.

Other news, the rain moved in last night. We are a little under a half of an inch. We could get up to three inches. The sky doesn't look quite that dark, but it's still early.

So yesterday morning, I was up early. (As if I ever get to sleep in!) This is how the morning greeted me...

The pictures were taken at exactly the same time, just a few inches difference in pointing the cell phone.

Please hold your loved ones tight. Tell them how much they mean to you. Be kind to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment