Sunday, October 1, 2017

Long, Tough Week at Work...

Good morning from the rancho.  The next paragraph may be unsettling for some. 

It was a long, tough week at work.  My prison had a riot last Sunday and spent the week on lock down.  An inmate was murdered.  I feel so incredibly sad for his family.  Yes, he was being held accountable for a crime, but as he was serving 15 years, there was still a chance that he could have turned his life around.  I am well aware that I work in a dangerous place, but sometimes, it slaps you in the face with a wake-up call.  Our prison was lucky, it was not about staff.  Not a single staff was injured.  Considering that we sent nine inmates to the hospital, we were very, very lucky.  I was at home when it happened, but was on the phone for hours, coordinating meals.  We are working on getting back to normal program, but it will be a while...

To keep my thoughts off the bad, I worked on crafting.  Practiced mounting paper inside boxes.  Went pretty well, though I need to improve my corners.  I like to use clips as I measure and get the paper straight.


Once I finished gluing and putting on the Mod Podge, time to wax.  I used a cream wax, but added a little antique wax to make it look older.  Next time, I will cut the amount of antique.  I have a few too many streaks on the paper.  Overall, not bad for my first try at home.  I finished the bottom with a hand dyed velveteen from Lady Dots Creates. 


Stitched the pompoms onto my scissor fob. Very pleased with this look.


Took Moses to the vet on Friday to have him neutered.  Very sad face that night.  The hardest part is keeping him and Daisy separated.  Sigh.  I feel like a doorman at the Waldorf Astoria...dog in, dog out, cat in, cat out, dog in, dog out...


He hates the cone, but the cat hates it more.  Every time Moses walks by the cat, Moto hunches up and hisses. Usually they just ignore each other, so it's got to be the cone. 

So, off to start my day.  I didn't do chores yesterday, so I will be pretty busy this morning.

I wish each of you a day filled with friends, family and love.  Be kind to one another.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, poor pets! The dog is probably wondering why he's such a pariah with the cat these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Poor Moses...it wasn't like the cat liked him before, but at least he tolerated him! Moses has already cracked his cone in several places...he runs into walls, tables, me...LOL I don't know if it will last the entire 10 days.

      Delete
  2. Oh Angela, I am sorry about your work situation. My cousin, who I babysat for when I was a teen, is in prison. Has been for many years. We are pen pals. He is so changed, but he will be out one day. Thank God for that.
    Your box is wonderful. Your scissor fob is cute. Poor Moses. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to go from a juvenile facility to an adult facility. I always want to feel that there is hope in a person's life. This was just very sad.

      Thank you, I am very happy with my box. My paper is a bit crooked, but I will get better. SMILE.

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about the work situation. You are lucky you weren't there. The box is lovely! You did a great job with it! I love the paper and fabrics. I love that pom pom edging and precious stitching. I want to try a pom pom on the next finishing I do. I have never used it! Sweet puppy with the cone of shame! I'm sure he will be glad to be rid of that and have a normal life again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT? Never used pompoms? You must come over to the fun side of trims. LOL There is a secret way to pull off the pompoms off the foundation strip without bursting them...then you can glue them on or sew them on. It really depends if you're talking about an heirloom piece or just something fun as a seasonal piece. LOL

      Poor Moses, definitely the cone of shame. LOL

      Delete
  4. Scary stuff that riot. Happy to hear that the staff was safe.
    Poor Moses and his cone of shame.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL He is so sad when I put it on, but he cooperates. I take it off when he eats. If he's fast enough, he gets past me and to the other end of the house. There, he can lick to his heart's content...until I realize that he is missing. LOL

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear about what happened at work. But I hope everything is back to normal by now (as normal as can be after such an incident).
    Crafting is always a good means to direct your thought into another direction. That box looks gorgeous. And your scissor fob is so pretty. You were doing a great job on both.
    I hope that you don't mind that I copied your final sentence to use it on my blog as well. It's more and more important these days that people adopt the attitude to be kind to one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't if it's ever really normal. We are still on lock down for that facility, though at least I'm getting workers this week. I don't even want to count the number of paper trays I've used for the last 10 days. LOL

      I am honored that you would think of me. SMILE There are never enough reminders about kindness these days...

      Delete
  6. Having worked 20 years as a nurse in a max prison. I totally feel this post.......no one really understands what it's like in there, unless they've spent time there.......it's a tough place.....in so many ways. When I retired, it took months for that feeling to go away...the one I didn't even know I carried around. I can tell this....there is an amazing life after you do your "time".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for understanding. It is definitely not for the faint of heart. I give you a lot of credit as a nurse...I just feed them! I am so close to retirement. I can hear my stash calling. LOL

      Delete
  7. Thanks for letting me understand through this article that,Thaks for increasing my knowledge.Really Great and best for me.
    ลิฟติ้งขนตา

    ReplyDelete