Friday, September 22, 2017

A Little Finishing...At A Class That Is...

Oh, where to start...

First, happy Friday.  I was pretty much ready for Friday on Monday.  I am not sure who planned a five day work week, but sometimes they just plain hurt.  LOL

Last weekend was my finishing class for the Hands to Work project.  Really, too much fun for one person to have.  LOL  I visited with friends, laughed, and ate my way around Modesto.  Lois Bear is an amazing teacher. She is so fun and filled with great ideas, they just fall out!  I learned how to use bookbinding glue, Mod Podge, scrap booking paper, and how to make cording like a pro!!

Here is the wax bag and pincushion.  I love how the pincushion looks. I can definitely see doing another one like this...not the same pattern...but the same shape.  LOL  See that cord?  I made that cord!  I usually just use the door knob and a pencil, but oh my goodness, used a corder and WOW! Went and bought one that afternoon.  LOL


In the right picture, you can see the wall paper that was added to the inside of the box.  So cute! That's where I learned how to use bookbinding glue (less water) and then cover the paper with Mod Podge to seal.  I've already picked up both products for practicing at home.  LOL

We painted the box and then rubbed on a brown tint wax to dull the color.  One person in the class did a green box, but I like the coral.  If you look closely at the picture above, you can see the color right above the paper. My box top fit just right.  And any areas that were a little wonky...covered that up with pompoms.  LOL  You can see the scissor fob at the bottom corner, but still need to get it stitched close and add the pompoms and cord. More cuteness!


In between class, I hung out with the ladies from my table.  They are very adept at knitting, crocheting, needlepoint.  I perked up when a couple of them said they knitted.  With circular needles? I asked.  Why, of course, they answered.  Hmmmm...I have problems with circular.  How would they feel about a mini-lesson?  An hour later, I FINALLY GOT IT!!  Here is the finished project:


Yes, it's a washcloth, but it's a knitted-on-circular-needles washcloth.  LOL  Now that I am one with the needles, I can seriously look at knitting some socks.  Maybe...LOL

I managed to get a couple of walks in while in Modesto.  Sunday morning sunrise was absolutely fantastic and the weather was perfect.  This picture is the sun coming up over one of the canals that run through the city.

So, I am off to plop my behind on the couch and get in some stitching time.  I wish each of you a wonderful weekend.  Be kind to one another.

17 comments:

  1. I am thoroughly impressed with your makes! They are so cute! Love them. This such a cute, cute pattern! My kinda colors. ;) Good for you conquering those circular needles. :D I bet the pups were so very glad to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but a lot of the credit goes to the teacher! LOL I've been diligently working with the circulars, but just couldn't get the tension right. One of my friends looked at me and told me to just wrap the yarn around my little finger...LOL Of course, why didn't I think of that? Much better!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! You've been very busy. :) Looking forward to seeing those socks! Wishing you a lovely day sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't think I'll finishing them THIS winter. LOL And a lovely day to you!

      Delete
  3. That sounds like an awesome class you took. I love box finishes and this one is especially lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have fun with the "girls". LOL I don't think that any of us are under 45, but we sure know how to giggle.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful finishes and always fun to spend time with like-minded souls.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I always learn something new at these classes.

      Delete
  5. Love your finishes and the box, it looks great! Congrats on everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've started another box at home...I don't want to lose my skills. LOL

      Delete
  6. Oh Angela, what did you do - this box is just gorgeous, and the accessories are, too. You were doing a great job. I just love the box top. This class with Lois seemed to have been very successful and besides this a lot of fun with the ladies, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Smile. I have never been a foo-foo girl, but am really please how this turned out!

      Delete
  7. I love your finishes! Sounds like you had a wonderful time and extra points for getting a free knitting lesson from those ladies :)

    Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a ball! Lovely projects and you really think owning a corder is a good buy? I am terrible at finishing off ornaments and a little cording would work well. I have a project on a circular needle now and it is finer than any I've worked with so it took some getting used to. Nothing to it when you know how as we used to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning!! Yes, I love the corder!! I've done quite a few with the doorknob and the pencil, LOL, but depending on how you fold the thread and twist it, you can make barber-pole cording, super thick, very thin...the types are endless! The corder was less than $15.00 and I think I will get a lot of use for it on ornaments. I want to do some wider knitting projects, so I'm very happy to finally get the hang of the circulars. LOL

      Delete
  9. Perfect! Thanks so much for this information, and am greatly appreciative! good post.
    จีคลับ

    ReplyDelete