Saturday, September 2, 2017

A Very Long Week...Time to Regroup

Good morning from the rancho.

It is early, early, early Saturday morning.  Quiet and cool.  Okay, it's 70 degrees, but that's not bad. Our forecast is in the 100's, again.  Here is what I found last Saturday when I got in my car...


It dropped to 113 degrees as I went down the highway.  I guess that was a bit better.  We have at least another week of this weather.

Since it has been so hot in the afternoons, no yard work for me.  Here is my stitching update.



So...we have failed at hospice.  Medicare filed a request for review.  Since my dad has been on hospice for four years, Medicare felt that we were abusing the program. Based on the review, we have been taken off of the program.  I am not angry at hospice.  They have done everything to keep us, but Dad is dying too slowly for Medicare's liking.  That is the nature of his disease. There was not enough monthly change to justify their participation.  To be honest, the only parts of hospice that we used were the weekly baths, the nurse visits, the music volunteer, and the social worker.  I use a caretaker service while I am at work, and the ladies have offered to do Dad's baths.  My husband's doctor is also a friend, so he will take Dad as a patient and do house calls.  But the moral support? The music?  Those I will miss.  Our music volunteer had made a point to learn the old western songs for my dad.  Sigh.  I don't know who cried more, me or my worker...

I am torn.  I want my Dad, but the man in the hospital bed is not really my dad anymore.  He hasn't spoken in over a year and his body is very contracted due to the Parkinson's.  I miss his smile so very much. All I can keep thinking is that my dad would be angry to know that this is what he has become. Hospice has recorded in our file that my dad is alive because of the excellent care that he receives. But, I won't ignore him. I will take care of him until the end.

So, after a pretty trying week, I am looking forward to a three day weekend.  I have a few chores to do, but plan on spending some quiet time with myself, trying to regroup.

Be kind to one another.

 

10 comments:

  1. Oh friend, I send you ((hugs)). God Bless you for taking such awesome care of your Dad. How awesome that so many people are helping out to fill the voids created. I hope you get a chance to work on your stitchy projects this holiday weekend. Wishing you a most lovely day sweet friend. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Vicki. I took the day "off" yesterday. I am settling my heart. It will be okay. It always is...LOL

      As for stitching, I fell asleep on the couch at 9 pm. No stitching for me.

      Delete
  2. Nice progress on your stitching project, Angela. But those temperatures are just terrible, at least for me. I can't even imagine such a heat.

    I admire you for everything you have been doing to care for your Dad. Good for you to have such wonderful friends who help you wherever they can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Brigitte. I have lived here my entire life and even I can't handle these temperatures! LOL Yesterday, it hit 113 degrees! That is just wrong. LOL

      My dad's caregivers have come to love him. It is definitely a help.

      Delete
  3. Dear Angela, you are in my prayers. I am sorry for these changes. How very hard. I am glad people have helped out and stepped in. You are an amazing example of an excellent daughter.
    Your stitching looks good. I hope you find time to relax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Vickie. Thank you for your prayers. I am sure that there is a plan. I just need to wait a bit. I won't ask for patience...we all know where that leads. LOL

      Have an amazing Sunday!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about all you are going through. Life can be so unfair. Thankfully you have some of the issues resolved, but so sad about the others. God Bless you. There is a special place in heaven for you.
    I hope this 3 day weekend will help recharge your batteries a bit.
    xoxo
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Lauren. Thank you, this weekend is giving me the time I need to regroup. I have a caretaker scheduled tomorrow, so I will have one more day to catch up. And, I have a stitching/finishing class in two weekends. I know I can last until then. LOL

      Delete
  5. I certainly know what it's like to try so hard and feel you're not getting the result you so desperately want! I'm sure there is a divine plan, but I don't think we'll know that while we're on this earth! Even though he cannot tell you, I just know that your Dad probably sees and feels all that you do for him! You are definitely an angel on earth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I'm an angel...but I will keep trying to do the right thing. SMILE

      Delete