Friday, May 15, 2020

And Life Changed

It has been so very long since I have posted.  Life has changed, not necessarily for the better, but not for the worst.

My father passed on November 11, 2018.  After ten years of caring for him, it seemed anticlimactic when he died.  I realized early in the week that it was getting closer so I took time off of work to be with him.  He was put on Hospice on a Wednesday and passed on Sunday morning.  He went in his sleep...probably to spare me that last moment.  I must admit that I was calm and made the required calls.  I waited until he was put into the van.  Then I completely broke down.  It seems that the last year and a half has gone by in a blur.  I'm able to think of him without crying and can speak of him without focusing on the hard parts.  My uncle, my father's older brother, died the previous Monday.  There is only one funeral home in my town.  When I went in to plan my dad's cremation, I used my father's last name.  The poor secretary had to ask me which one as my uncle was there at the same time.  I find it funny now, but didn't at the time.

My husband's stroke is now at the two year mark.   There are still residuals.  It is difficult for him to walk but he carries on the best he can.  He knows that he is different, but tries to ignore all the pain.  He still wants to be seen as the man that can do anything.  Okay.  But I can see it and try to do most of the yard work and gardening.

I retired at the end of June 2019.  I had become annoyed at the never ending audits, budget meetings and general crap that comes with a state job.  I was invited to a wedding on June 28th and decided that I was never going back to work.  Really.  That is how I made my decision.  And...I have not had a single moment of regret.  I have my crafts, my gardening, my house plants...and my husband.  He doesn't drive much anymore, so I spend a lot of time driving Mr. Daisy.

I have thought of my blog often, of the people I met, the people that became my friends.  I really have no excuse...life just got in the way.  I would lay in bed and think of all the things I should post.  Then...nothing.  I just couldn't find the energy or time to think about my life. 

So this evening I gave myself a kick in the butt and told myself that I have no more time for excuses.  I don't know if there's anyone still out there, but I need to get back to myself.  And part of myself is my writing and sharing.  I have lots of craft projects to catch up.  Here are a few roses from my garden to brighten your day.



 


I hope that all is well.  Be kind to one another.

7 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Aren’t you the brave warrior after all these trials. I’m sorry. Your rose pictures are a sweet sight as our trees haven’t even leafed out here in Atlantic Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'm brave, but I sure was tired. LOL Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Oh Angela! I am SO HAPPY to see this post this morning! I don't know if you ever saw my email I sent months ago? I did think of you and pray for you my friend. Your roses are gorgeous. I am so very sorry for the loss of your father. I know how hard that was for you. I have lost my father also. That is different of course, but I know you were such a good, good daughter Angela. I would love to see your dogs! Among other things!! :) You have a good day sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! You certainly had enough on your plate with DH & DF the last couple of years, I think most would take a break from non-essential tasks like blogging.

    No, I don't think the way you decided to retire was all that odd, in fact, I did similar. After busting butt for years on a project, I was left off the invite list for the "woo-hoo! our product is certified!!!!" party. Made up my mind to retire that fall as everyone else filed out the door to go party. And I did, other than the paycheck and a *few* of the people, I've had no regrets.

    Your roses are gorgeous, I look forward to reading your posts again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I guess when you're done, you're done. LOL

      Delete
  4. Angela,
    So good to see a blog post from you. A lot sure has happened since your last post. I am sorry for the loss of your dad. When my mom died (can't believe it's been 10 years) it was very hard but I found comfort in knowing it was her time. Happy to hear hubby is okay though not 100%.
    CONGRATS on your retirement!!! It's the best thing I ever did, though financially it wasn't the smartest move, but hey, I make do and am loving life.
    Your roses are drop dead gorgeous.
    Welcome back to blogland :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete