Friday, May 14, 2021

How Does My Garden Grow...And Stitching Grass

Happy Friday from the rancho!!  The weather in California has been absolutely gorgeous this week.  High 80's during the day, low 40's at night.  Perfect walking weather and perfect sleeping weather.  Smile.  I was planning on driving to Iowa this month, but now waiting for my baby boy to give me a date in June that he's coming to visit me.  If June doesn't work, then maybe he'll visit in July...either way, I'm gonna see that kid sometime before October.  In 2019 I went in late October and hit snow through most of the Rocky Mountains, all of Wyoming and then brought it to Iowa.  I will definitely make the trip before September 15th this year.  LOL 

My garden is doing well.  I've got baby zucchinis and lots of strawberries.  Side note for strawberries...do not eat strawberries after you have put fertilizer in the pots and you forget to add water.  I thought the berries tasted a bit dusty.  LOL  Thank goodness it was organic.


I have harvested several meals of lettuce.  Such a different taste than store bought.



Can you see the teeny, tiny zucchini?  


The first blooms on my roses and irises are always the best.  But...they're still giving their all this year.



I took this picture on Mother's Day.  Love, love, love.


I received these geraniums several years ago from a dear friend.  They are loving my patio.


On to stitching.  Oh. My. Goodness.  I am continuing my work on Cherry Hill Sampler.  I told myself that I would get the grass filled in before I start on the center motifs.   I stitch on this for two hours each evening to not get burnt out.  I swear...my lawn grows faster than I'm getting this stitched.  LOL  I am not particularly happy with the lack of difference in the greens, but there is no way I will start this over.  Because I am working with overdyeds, I do random groups of stitching so it doesn't stripe.  I'm hoping that it looks better finished than it does now.


Did a quick little stitch that I found over at pinkernpunkinquilting.  I do love Melisa's designs.  They are so cute and most can be finished in a few hours.  Instant gratification!!  I am looking for the perfect button for the center of the bow.  This saying makes me smile.  I was raised more on a "ranch" with beef cattle and hay, but still have those "farming" memories of chickens, changing sprinkler pipes and animal chores.  Happy times.


Jack Jack is as cute as ever.  He's got this lanky teenager thing going on.  LOL  


There are a few chores that are screaming to be done.  But, I think I will head outside to pick some lettuce for dinner.  Who needs clean clothes?  LOL Stay safe, be kind to one another.


5 comments:

  1. So nice to see you posting more often!!!
    Your flowers...sigh. Just so pretty. And Jack Jack, cuter by the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you!! Is this where I tell you that I have the alarm set on my phone for Friday at 8 am to write on my blog? LOL LOL LOL After my dad passed, I was in a weird place. Not really interested in much except day to day survival. Once I retired I knew that I needed to get out of my funk and focus on things that make me happy. I'm doing better. Smile.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous flowers!!! I've had similar experience with the overdyed threads... if it bugs you when it's done, then you could always either backstitch around the berry stems, OR take a darker thread and add an extra X over what's already stitched (on the stems, not the grass...lol). This is what I've done in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea!! I am very unhappy with the first flower/cherry tree. It is almost impossible to see. I will keep in the mind about the darker thread. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. .... the grass is looking AWESOME the way you are stitching it! Looks sun dappled and lovely! :-)

    ReplyDelete