Friday, August 7, 2020

Passing Time at the Rancho

Happy Friday evening!  Time marches on here at the rancho.  As we enter month five of the pandemic, I've realized that I love my home, my garden, my stitching...but I sure would like to get out of the house and head cross country. There is something about new scenery that makes me smile.  

It's been in the low 80's here, so much nicer than 100 degrees.  My tomatoes all decided to ripen at the same time.  Thank goodness I'm a good sharer.  LOL  My grape vines are giving me a bumper crop this year.  I have two vines and have already picked about 25 pounds of grapes.  There's at least that much left on the vines that need a few days to ripen.  The birds are not that interested this week.  Not sure why, the grapes are pretty good!  Shared those with the neighbors, too.

Here is a picture of the tomatoes I have growing:

I've got cherry, regular and zebra.  The green with stripes are the zebra.  And yes, that is the color when they're ripe.  LOL  They are sweet with a lot less acid than regular tomatoes.

With the cooler temperatures my roses are happy, happy, happy.



At least once a week, I try to cook a meal that is entirely from the garden.  I had corn on the cob, butternut squash, carrots and zucchini.  Since I have now become the BBQQ (Bar B Que Queen) I put everything on the Traeger grill.  My husband absolutely, positively HAD TO HAVE A TRAEGER GRILL!   As men are apt to do, he kinda lost interest.  As women are apt to do, I pulled out my phone and googled "how to cook on a Traeger".  LOL  Because of the way this grill works, it is almost like an oven.  Note the carrots and squash are in a cast iron pan.  Yep, works well.  It is said to work with pizza...hmmmm...maybe next week. 

Nothing much on the stitching front.  I've been doing finishing for a friend.  She loves to stitch, not so much the finishing.  LOL  I get to keep the patterns once I'm done, so it's a win-win.  Here's a few of my finishes.  Some are per the instructions, others just from my head.  








I have started going to a craft get-together once a month.  There is social distancing and masks.  I am  picking up some tips for embroidery and crocheting.  It is nice to sit with others and have some inspirational time.  

Okay, off to get ready for bed.  Wishing each of you a good weekend.  Be kind to one another.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's gotten stuck on grilling duty. I'm not sure how that happened. The good is I get to make most decisions on what to grill - though I suspect even grilling won't improve DH's opinion of lamb :-/ Grilled squash sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Not really sure how I got the grill duty either. I always did the gas grill, but the first time I used his grill...I broke it. I didn't know you had to do a "cool down" and blew a fuse. Grilled squash is our favorite! It has a tendency to fall through the grill, so we use one of those hot dog cage thingys. LOL They fit perfect. LOL

      Delete
  2. Those tomatoes...I am jealous!!! They look so good.
    You are also the RQ...rose queen. Your roses are beautiful.
    So are your finishes. I want you to be my new best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL My roses are either gorgeous or crispy. Welcome to California. LOL This year I bought tomato plants from a local grower. They are doing so MUCH BETTER than the generic/hybrid plants that I usually pick up from Lowe's or Home Depot.

    Thank you on my finishes. I have gotten much braver when it comes to finishing. LOL I was very sad when they cancelled this year's finishing retreat in April. I finished a sewing pocket on Saturday. The instructions took me two days to figure out. LOL I'll post a picture of it on Friday. And just so you know, I am so jealous about your rug hooking. LOL I look at it and say...wow, how does she make them so straight and beautiful. We all have our talents. LOL

    ReplyDelete