Sunday, February 7, 2021

Plants, Pups and a Little Stitching!!

Good morning and happy Sunday from the rancho.  Quiet and warm here...hit 68 degrees yesterday.  My son, in Iowa, is a chilly -9 with a wind chill of -24.  I watch his weather more than my own.  I cannot begin to understand how you learn to live in a freezer.  Even ice cream holds at 18 degrees!! I worry about him but he assures me that he doesn't take chances and stays in when he can.  Sigh.

Jack Jack and Moses are still friends.  Most of the time.  Moses is better at sharing his bed but still no hope for sharing snacks.  At almost three months, Jack Jack is still under ten pounds.  He's got a big dog bark, but not much brawn to back it up.  LOL


The difference between ten pounds and one hundred pounds.  


I love inside plants as much as gardening outside.  After retirement I went from ten or twenty inside plants to over a hundred.  I know, I know...it makes it hard to travel and I have to leave them in the care of DH while I'm gone.  But...they're so pretty!!!  One of my favorites is Hoyas.  They've been a staple in homes for years and years.  Easy to grow, bloom (when they feel like it LOL) and so many different varieties!  You may have heard them referred to as "wax plants" because of the thickness of the leaves.

This is my Hoya Obovata.  See the pink splashes on the leaves?


Neon philodendron.  The pink leaves are new but will turn neon green as they get older.


A collection.  There's a bit of everything in there.  The only thing they have in common?  They love that window in the winter.  LOL


A close up of my Hoya Pubicalyx Royal Hawaiian Purple.  Isn't that leaf gorgeous?  


And just so you don't think that I am some amazing horticulturist...I write down the names on tiny plastic plant spikes so I don't forget.  LOL  LOL  LOL

I still have my garden on my mind.  This guy rode home shotgun with me last week.  A Meyer Lemon Tree.  Yay!!  My DH gave me money for Christmas.  I didn't buy any stitching related items, but picked up this tree, potting soil and pots.  LOL  First time for everything. 

Finally completed my 2020 SAL.  I am not happy with myself since I didn't stitch the entire bottom row...but you have to measure correctly to have enough fabric.  LOL


Did another tiny piece for the house.  This started as a DollarTree chalk sign!  Some paint and paper...poof!  


While cleaning up my craft area, I found a needle minder that I love, but doesn't have strong enough magnets to hold anything.  I decided that I would pry off the magnets and add some of my super-duper magnets that hold EVERYTHING.  If you chose to follow my lead, do not use an ice pick to attempt to pry off the magnet.  It doesn't work and when it slips, the sharp pointy end will go through the nail on your thumb and it will hurt.  A lot.  And the bad part?  I still need to find some way to get off the magnet.  But it is a pretty ice pick.  And works well to punch holes in cardboard or fabric if I need to put in a cord.  LOL


Thursday morning I was up bright and early for our doggie pee pee party.  It was a little cold and I decided to make some shortbread cookies and poppy seed bread.  Very tasty if I do say so myself!  This is the first time that I added cranberries and orange zest to my shortbread.  SO GOOD!!  It is just a standard recipe that I found on Pinterest but works well for me.


Oh...I've just rattled on.  LOL  I leave you with two pictures I snapped this past week.  The first is of the moon...at 3:30 am (pee pee party) and the sunset from my front door.  There is just so much beauty in nature!



Be safe.  Stay warm.  Be kind to one another.


6 comments:

  1. Great post!
    Jack Jack is just a doll. When do we get to see pics of his mom?
    100 house plants??? I haven't met you, but I am beginning to question your sanity...lol! I have maybe a dozen. I wish a few would die but I don't have the heart to kill them. I just don't have many good spots for them and the spots I have are small.
    Your SAL is lovely and had you not told us about the bottom, we never would have known.
    OUCH on the thumb. I think I heard some bad words all the way in Ohio. Oh, maybe that would be me when I hurt myself doing something like that.
    68 degrees. Life is so not fair. We are heading in to the coldest weather we have had so far this winter...single digits...but not as bad as your son's.
    Take good care and happy Sunday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few plants that are not my favorites, but it takes a lot for me to send them outside to the "plant cemetery". LOL I have quite a few south windows but did have to get a two grow lights. Not really the expensive "grow lights" but did some research and as long as they emit the correct color waves they work. LOL Welcome to "daylight" bulbs. I do love my ice pick. LOL Just to let everyone know that I have learned my lesson...I purchased a nice putty knife. A sharp putty knife. LOL

      Delete
  2. Oh Jack Jack!! Love him. Glad Moses at least tolerates him. ;)
    You are CRAZY woman! 100 house plants?!?! I love ferns. I have ferns, violets and orchids. That's it. My Mom has a lot of plants. Well you have a LOT of plants!
    Yes, I am hoping your thumb is healing from when you injured it?
    I know precisely how your son feels. It is not any better here in Wisconsin. It is currently -1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two are a pair. LOL I've got new pictures to post as soon as get my photos to load. Old brains work slow. LOL

      Delete
  3. Congrats on that finish...beautiful stitches. You are getting the opportunity to take some great photos there with the training. What a little cutie that Jack Jack is. I have an indoor garden as well- thought it was getting out of hand with 30 plants, LOL and it is doing fine so far. Of course geraniums are the easiest thing on the planet to grow. Take care now and btw, all that crisp cold air is actually invigorating and aids the immune system, so don't worry, I think your son will be fine. We'd all be dead otherwise, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I'm enjoying Jack Jack...but he does have a mind of his own. LOL I've done well with geraniums outside, but each year they freeze back and I'm back to the beginning. The high temperature in Iowa City yesterday was 1. Yes, 1 degree. I was really bad and called my son and told him how I was sitting outside, 58 degrees, enjoying the sunset. He was not impressed. LOL

    ReplyDelete